Monday, January 29, 2018

Coopers Hawk Watercolor Work in Progress 1

I've been wanting to do some watercolors this Winter and recently bought a full sheet of 300 lb Arches watercolor paper. Of course the large sheet of paper is intimidating me since I haven't done any watercolor in a while. So I am doing a few small 11"x14" paintings 
on 140 lb paper to get back into the groove.
Here is the first one, a Coopers Hawk from a photograph I took at Rancho San Rafael Regional Park.
First a quick sketch in pencil to get everything in proportion. 
I taped the edges to hold it down on the board and so I can have a clean line when I am done.

Next a wash of Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue.
 I sprinkled alcohol and salt on the wet wash to get some interesting patterns.

Another wash of BU and UB with Alcohol and salt and then I lightly washed in the bird.

I used a watercolor pencil to draw in the defining shadows and then 
softened them with a small brush dipped in water.

More washes on the wings and shadows with Paynes Grey.
I think I will add some Fall colors into the background along with some
 Cerulean Blue for some sky color showing through.




No comments:

Post a Comment