Tuesday, February 26, 2019

New Painting: Wilbur

I started another new 24"x30" painting on canvas the other day, this one is from 
a photo I took several years ago of a man named Wilbur. 
I started in acrylic paint and then switched over to oil like the last couple I did.

Here is the painting as it sits right now.



To see the step by step photos read on after the break.



I started with a loose monochrome painting to try and get everything proportioned.

A little more refining of the shapes.

The eyes were really wonky and I kept fighting to get them right.

Still working on proportions.

It's getting closer now.

I started adding some color with oil paint thinned with mineral spirits.
I want to try and keep my color bright in this painting.

More acrylic color and tonal value work.

Putting some blue in my shadow areas.

I mixed some white into the blue for his whiskers.

Here I started adding more color with the oil paint and added 
some linseed oil to the mix for blending.

Continuing to block in color working around shadows and highlights to shape the face.

This is where I am right now. I think it will dry overnight and I'll keep going tomorrow.























No comments:

Post a Comment