Sunday, June 5, 2016

Raccoon

I started on a new painting yesterday. I thought I would do a watercolor this time, Ive been wanting to do one for a long time now. While my wife and I were out thrift store shopping this weekend I came across a stuffed Raccoon at the Salvation Army Thrift store and snapped a picture of it. It is pretty old and disgusting but I thought it would work well as a reference. I did my sketch on the watercolor paper yesterday evening and started painting today. I used some maskoid on his whiskers and on some of the fur highlights to keep my whites as I decided to work pretty wet on this painting.

This is my first step. I wet the paper with a squirt bottle painted in the color really wet
 and threw a little Kosher Salt into the wet paint. Click on the link to read more.






Here are a couple of detail shots to show the effect once it has dried.

This is where I am right now. I blocked in the green background 
with a large flat brush and then misted the paint with my squirt bottle.
 I will be working with positive and negative space as I proceed from here.

Here is another detail image.





No comments:

Post a Comment