Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Vulture: New painting work in progress

Recently I came upon an adolescent Turkey Vulture on my morning walk with Bella our dog. I got some great photographs and they have inspired a new painting. (at least one maybe more, who knows?) 
I thought I would put the Vulture head on a person similar to my American God series and the resulting creature really speaks to a lot of what is going on in the world today. 
I am mocking up my idea with photographs in Photoshop first and will then move on to a sketch and painting. This will be acrylic with oil on top I think. Here is where the idea is right now and the step by step process follows after the break.





 I started with a public domain image from the Getty collection.

I then converted this image to black and white and started changing the image for the painting.

First I added the vulture head.

Here I started colorizing the image. 
I decided I would add the red on the vultures face like an adults coloring.
 I think it adds to the creepiness.
More colorization.
I found a different rustic bowl that was a little bigger so I could add some people inside.
I added some people from a concert with their hands in the air to the bowl.

Then a nice spoon to scoop up the people with.

I think the jacket should be a similar color to the feathers of the vulture.

I thought a cool blue in the background would push the character forward.
More warm colors on the wood of the table and bread. (Give us this day our daily bread.)
Here I darkened the shadows under the table and cleaned up the background a little.
This is where my idea is at this time. I think it is a good start and now it is thinking time again.














No comments:

Post a Comment