Sunday, September 17, 2017

Vulture: New painting work in progress 14

I've been looking at my painting a couple days now and thinking about some of the comments from some friends online. I decided I've been going a little too far with the small details which really isn't my normal style of work. 
 
I originally started this painting to try out a new technique. Painting in grisaille with acrylics in the first stages and then switching over to oils. Grisaille was a technique used by the Dutch painters to do beautiful layered portraits. I love portraits but I normally have a much looser style of painting, more like the impressionists. I found on this painting I have been getting more and more realistic due I think to the technique. However, looking at a couple areas of the painting where I was a little less careful, I find I really like those areas and so I am going to kick up the color and paint a new layer a little more loosely and see how I like it.

To see how I got to this point read on after the break.


I started with a heavy coat of blue on the background.

Continuing with the blue. It's a mix of French Ultramarine Blue
with Cerulean Blue with a little white and yellow in the highlights.

Added a crack in the plaster wall and a lintel under the shelf.

Here I made his dreads a little larger at the ends.

Added a shadow on the table and refined the bread.

Darkened the shadows in his suit a little more. I plan on continuing this heavier painting on his head and suit next.








No comments:

Post a Comment