Saturday, October 28, 2017

New Oil Painting Work in Progress: Owl 4

Getting into the impressionist brush strokes now. 

To see the step by step photos to get to this point read on after the break.



I started with small bright colored brush strokes in the background.

I started with warm colors then moving into cooler colors.
 I also colored in the white sleeves which I thought were distracting from the face.

Here I started brush strokes on the clothing.

Continuing with brush strokes on the clothing.

Added some Ultramarine Blue strokes to the background and the shadows of the clothing.

Adding some purple into the clothing and background building the depth of the shadows. I will continue adding more color until I'm happy with the results. I'll be working on the face again pretty soon now. I like to do the work on the background first and save doing the face (which I like doing more) for last. It's like a reward for getting the background done. (Delayed gratification)










No comments:

Post a Comment