Tuesday, February 13, 2018

New Watercolor Work in Progress "Blue Crab"

I finished my Cheetah painting and was happy with the results so I started a new painting today.
Many years ago I went to Nassau for work and took a bunch of photographs. This is one of some blue crabs in a trap and I decided I like the colors and will do this as my next small painting. 

Here is what it looks like on my easel right now. Read on to see the step by step photos.



Here is my sketch with my initial color washes. 
I like how the cage forms a kind of grid system and will use that for my composition.

More washes to setup my tonal range. 

Starting to negative paint each "cell" to refine my composition. 
I like the look of the rectangles also and will probably keep at least some of that look.

Here is where I am right now. It's kind of like doing 
a whole bunch of small paintings within a larger one. 
I want to really kick up the color saturation on this one right now, 
we'll see if that actually works out.

















No comments:

Post a Comment