Wednesday, March 21, 2018

New Work in Progress: Turtle Island Painting

One of my favorite digital art pieces is my Iroquois Creation Story. I have always loved this piece so I decided I would do a couple paintings based on it. The first I started today using acrylic ink and watercolor on Yupo paper. Then I think I will do a large oil painting. We'll see how that goes. :)

Here is the painting as it sits right now.


To see the step by step progress photos read on after the break. 

If you have a little free time check out my website where you can order Fine Art prints of my work, including the digital version of this painting.

Iroquois Creation Story




I started out with a really general pencil sketch and then added some thin washes of colored ink.

Next I did a wash of the sky to establish the basic color theme.

Basic washes on the turtle and adding shadows to the right side of the painting.

Here I sketched in the tree with a colored watercolor pencil and added more detail in the shadows with watercolors. I'll just keep layering color and detail until I love it or can't stand it anymore. :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment