Tuesday, July 17, 2018

New Painting Hawk Wings: Work in Progress 1

I've been wanting to do a painting of this hawk ever since I photographed it. So today I picked up a 24"x30" canvas at Nevada Fine Arts. (75% off this month!)
Here is how it looks right now.


 
 
I started out with a wash of acrylic (Burnt Umber, Red and Yellow) and then did the sketch with a white Stabilo china marker pencil and sealed it in with lacquer.


If you look closely you can see the white lines on the canvas. 
After the lacquer dried I switched over to oil paint and started laying in sky and cloud colors. 
Then I put in some shadows on the hawk with a mix of Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue.

I'll paint more detail in the sky tomorrow morning and then start roughing in the bird,
 especially around the edges where it meets the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment