Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Grandfather Buzzard -Work in Progress 4

I started in with oil glazes today, turpentine with a little linseed oil added. Here is what the painting looks like now.

To see the steps to get to this point read on after the break. 



I started this morning with Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine Blue and white glazes on the sky and added some flesh tones to his hands and head. I also started refining the shape of the bird on his shaft.

Here I darkened the lower part of the background and the shadow on the backside of his cape. I also glazed the blue parts of his clothing and smoothed it out. Then I worked on the shadows on the head, changed the eye color to Orange and spent some time on the lace collar.

Here I added a highlight on his staff and decided his sleeves and trim on the cape should be glazed with Purple. I also started roughing in the floral designs on the sleeves and trim. Next I added more detail to the bird on the staff. It's going to dry a while and then I will jump back in. I'm happy with the progress today so I guess I won today's battle.  :)








No comments:

Post a Comment