Saturday, March 24, 2018

New Work in Progress: Turtle Island Painting 3


I had to stare it down for a while but I think I have it figured out now. 
This is where I am tonight.

This one has been battling me from the beginning but I think I have it figured out now. 
To see the step by step photos read on after the break.



I didn't like the way things were going yesterday so I added a thin wash to everything and let it run.

 Next I started adding the dark areas back in using watercolor with black ink added.

I still didn't like the sky so today I tried adding some white watercolor in washes to
 even out the sky and used it to paint the highlights into the clouds.
 I like the effect on the yupo paper and it blends in beautifully.

Here I refined the clouds even more and I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel.
I can see this one taking quite a while to finish but at least I'm over hating it. (for now)

I need to darken the value of the beach quite a bit yet and nitpick the sky more before I start adding a lot more detail and highlights to the turtle. I also need to reshape the tree and add some birds.

















No comments:

Post a Comment