Thursday, February 16, 2017

New Painting -Fish head WIP

While the Rider of the purple Sage is drying enough that I can do detail work on the horse and rider
I started a new painting I'm calling Fish head for now. 
It's the first of the Jar Head series I was thinking about doing. This one is oil paint on a wood panel. I want to stay loose in my brushwork and go for a surreal look. 
Here is the painting as it sits on my easel. I just started last night.


To see the step by step process from mock up to this point read on after the break.

To see my work as it becomes available in Fine Art Prints check out my website.





This is the mock up I'm using for this one as it's still too cold to go out and shoot portrait.
 I found the portrait on the Getty site. It is a public domain image.


This is the sketch I was working from.

I roughly sketched out the image on my 1/4" thick MDF panel that was primed with 2 coats of Blick Gesso. This is a wet wash of color using just mineral spirits as a thinner.

I'm starting to think about the background colors here. Still oil thinned with spirits for fast drying.
 I didn't like the chair and arm in the background so I painted over them.

A little more work on the background and the hat.

Here I refined all of my shapes by overlaying my sketch on a photo of the painting in Photoshop. I find this is an excellent way to see if the painting is getting out of proportion and easy to fix in the early stages. I added to his front arm and took off some from the front of his body. I think it gives him a more confident posture. I also made more of an S curve on the brim of his hat.


No comments:

Post a Comment